1782
fBy disposition of the Commission of National Education, Jan Dominik Jaśkiewicz founds the Natural History Cabinet. For the next 184 years, it will be located in Collegium Physicum at 6 St. Anny Street in Cracow.
1787-1804
Franciszek Scheidt augments the collection with a herbarium.
1806-1809
Baltazar Hacquet donates his mineralogical collection to the Cabinet.
1809-1843
Alojzy Rafał‚ Estreicher divides the Natural History Cabinet into two sections, the Mineralogical Cabinet and the Zoological Cabinet. He purchases Baltazar Hacquet's collection. Together with the donation of rev. Kajetan Sołtyk the collections of both cabinets now count about 10,000 items.
1843-1847
Napoleon Czerwiakowski augments the collection with specimens of exotic mammals, including an armadillo and a platypus.
1848-1855
Ludwik Zejszner expands the Mineralogical Cabinet and organizes a new exhibition there.
1855-1857
Edward Oskar Schmidt introduces the name Zoological Museum (used interchangeably with the Zoological Cabinet).
1858-1862
Kamil Heller begins listing the inventory of the collection.
1863-1890
Maksymilian Siła-Nowicki enlarges the Museum's collection, creates a collection of insects and finishes listing the inventory.
1890-1918
Antoni Wierzejski augments the collection with marine invertebrates.
1912-1939
fMichał Siedlecki augments the collection with specimens acquired during his scientific expeditions to Java and Ceylon (flying frogs and lizards among others).
1939-1945
During the Nazi occupation the University is closed. Part of the Museum's collection is hidden away and survives the war.
1946-1952
Zbigniew Kawecki is appointed Curator of the Museum.
1952-1967
Stanisław Smreczyński is appointed Director of the Department of Systematic Zoology and of the Museum.
1967-1968
The Museum is relocated from 6 St. Anne's Street to the new building of the Collegium Zoologicum at 50 Krupnicza Street (now 6 Ingardena Street).
1968-1979
Wiktor Micherdziński creates the Museum's present exhibition - The World's Fauna Panorama.
f
1980
Janusz Wojtusiak is appointed Director of the Zoological Museum. B. Śmiałowska, K. Smagowicz, K. Beiersdorf, A. Falniowski and E. Pyza together complete the Panorama exhibition.
1984
Bolesław Raczka, a Polish expatriate living in Canada, donates his collection of marine molluscs to the Museum.
1987
Roman Tertil from the Institute of Environmental Sciences donates his collection of butterflies from north-western Nigeria (the Sokoto region) to the Museum.
1991
Janusz Wojtusiak donates his collection of African butterflies acquired during his field studies in Nigeria in 1982-1986.
1992
The Prorector of the University, Janusz Sondel, gives the cellars of Collegium Iuridicum to the Museum. Exhibitions of marine mollusc shells, butterflies and fossils (donated by Jerzy Małecki and Radosław Tarkowski) are open to the public there.
f
1993
The Museum takes over a large collection of butterflies belonging to the late Roman Wojtusiak, a professor of the University.
1993
The Museum organizes a scientific excursion to the Saint Thomas and Principe islands. Valuable specimens of endemic species of butterflies are acquired for the collection.
1996
The Museum begins a long-term study of the biodiversity of butterflies in the South American rainforest and collects specimens of neo-tropical fauna.
f
2000
elebrating the 600th anniversary of the renewal of the University, the Museum takes part in "The Treasures of the University" exhibition in Collegium Maius.
f
2003
Tomasz Pyrcz donates his collection of butterflies from Africa, Asia, South America and Europe.
2004
The Museum organizes the exhibition "The Butterflies of Equador" in Guayaquil, Equador and takes part in the conference "Bio-diversity and preservation of butterflies in Equador". Within 3 weeks, the exhibition attracts 12,000 visitors.
f
2006
The Museum, in co-operation with Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas (IVIC) in Caracas, organizes a field study in the Cordillera de Merida mountain ranges in Venezuela. Participants include dr Tomasz W. Pyrcz (MZUJ), dr Angel Viloria (IVIC), Pierre Boyer (Le Puy Sainte Reparade), and Mauro Costa (Caracas).
f
2008
The Museum takes part in a conference summing up the four-year project "Tropical Andean Butterflies Diveristy" (see: www.andeanbutterflies.org). The conference is held in Urubamba, Peru, and its programme includes a field study in the Cuzco department (Kayce Casner from the University of California, Pierre Boyer from Le Puy Sainte Reparade, and Michel Dottax were among the participants), as well as a study of the biodiversity of butterflies in the Waygecha Biological Station in the Kosnipata Valley.
f
2009
In co-operation with the Natural History Museum in Cochabamba and the Prometa Foundation on Tarija, the Museum organizes a field study in the mountain raiforests in the Tarija and Cochabamba departments in Bolivia.
f
2009
Field studies in Chile, co-organized and co-funded by the Middle Tennessee State University in Murfseesboro, conducted in the Valdivian temperate rainforests in central-southern Chile and the patagonian steppes on the Argentinian border.
f
2009
Dr Tomasz W. Pyrcz conducts a seminar at Universite de Provence in Marseille on the morphological and behavioral adaptations of animals to mountainous environments.
f
2012
Death of Janusz Wojtusiak. Tomasz Wilhelm Pyrcz becomes new head of the Museum.
Home
Return to Top of Page
2008-2016 Zoological Museum of the Jagiellonian University, by Wojciech Kudla.