f

Zoological Museum, Gronostajowa 5., Cracow

Welcome in the oldest Zological Museum in Poland

The Museum originated in 1782 as the “Natural History Cabinet”. The townhouse at 6 St. Anne’s Street in Cracow was its home for 184 years, until its relocation in 1967 to the Institute of Zoology at 6 Ingardena Street (formerly 50 Krupnicza Street), where it remained to the end of year 2014. The museum hall housed an exhibition of about 7000 animal specimens covering nearly all taxonomic groups - from polyps to mammals. As such, the exhibition was a perfect educational complement for schools and students. An additional exhibition at Grodzka Street (currently closed) included displays of fossils and tropical butterflies - it was a popular destination for family excursions, as well as for collectors and lovers of these animals. From the beginning of the year 2015 all the collections are kept in a new building at Gronostajowa 5. The new exhibition is under construction.
f

Visitor imformation

Zoological Museum consisted of two exhibitions, currently both are closed.

Romana Ingardena 6. St., 30-060 Cracow

  • f
    The main exhibition of the Museum - The World’s Fauna Panorama - is located in the Institute of Zoology. It is open to individual visitors, as well as guided tours. To find out more about exhibition, go to: Exhibitions.
  • f
    Currently closed due to relocation.

Grodzka 53. St., 31-001 Cracow

  • f
    The exhibition of fossils, sea shells and butterflies. To find out more about exhibition, go to: Exhibitions.
  • f
    Currently closed due to relocation.
Home
Return to Top of Page
2008-2016 Zoological Museum of the Jagiellonian University, by Wojciech Kudla.